Saturday, May 22, 2010

Flashback-Friday-Senior Memories

5-21-10
It's Friday.  Woo hoo!!! This means it is time for "Flashback Friday" with Linda.  I have had so much fun doing these post.  I love remembering the "old day" of my life.  :)
Today's flashback is about my senior memories.  Oh how I loved my senior yr.  We had such a great time.  I graduated in 1989.  As a matter of fact, we just had our 20TH class reunion this past Aug.  I didn't get to attend because of a family wedding.  But, thanks to Facebook, I was able to view all the pics & see all my old friends.  I missed a great time.  :(
Anyway, we had lots of parties in my senior year.  We went to all the football games & afterwards hung out in the school parking lot.  We were allowed to do things like that, back in the day.  My friends also always had parties at their houses on Sat. 
We did receive class rings, but we actually got ours in the 11th grade.  We had the same tradition that Linda mention in her post.  We would have the ring turned 89 times & the 89th person, better have been someone special because you were to be kissed by that person.  Yes, mine was a specaial person.  I made sure of that.  Hee Hee. 
The week of graduation, we didn't have much going on, as far as classes.  We pretty much got to do what we wanted, as long as we were in class.  One thing they made sure of was that we did attend classes that whole week, or no graduating ceremoney for us. 
  We had our awards ceremoney on the night before and I remember us kids dedicating a song to our parents.  During the song we took a rose to them.  The song was "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler.  My mom cried so hard.  She said that was one of her proudest momments with me.  That song will forever be my song to my mom. 
We had our graduation on a Sat. morning & I remember getting there & taking tons of pics. My mom & dad were sooo happy because I had stuggled with some classes that year.  What I remember most about the actual graduation day, was the slide show.  Made me cry.  I received my diploma after we turned in our cap & gown.  And no we could not throw our caps in the air when they announced "class of 1989".  Some did though.  Hee Hee.  I hung my tassel in my parents car.  I didn't have a car of my own, but I drove my parents car. 
After graduation, I had a HUGE party at my house.  We had volleyball set up out front & food/cake was in the back.  Pretty much us kids stayed in the front.  All my family showed up(which is a lot).  My dads sister has 11 kids & they all showed up.  Even my cousin that lived in Altanta.  All my friends showed up too.  It was a great party.  The gifts that I was given, was mostly money.  I received over $500.  Wow!!! After my party, we left & hit some other senior parties.  It was one on my best days ever.
Well, now it is your turn to share your Senior Memories with us.  Please link up @ Mocha with Linda.  Enjoy reading other post & have a great day.
I am hoping to add some pics to this post this weekend.
GOD BLESS!!!
LAURI 

1 comment:

Mocha with Linda said...

What a fun flashback! And I'm glad someone else went to a school with the turn-the-ring tradition!

I had forgotten until a couple of folks mentioned the throwing the caps up in the air. Seems like it was the same with us - weren't supposed to and some did anyway!